National Job fair for this year is on November 06-07, 2015 at Koh Pich, Phnom Penh. It is organized by the National Employment Agency (NEA) of the Ministry of Labor and Vocational Training. Every year, this event provides opportunities to you job seeker to get to know and access to various types of vacancies and potential employers from different districts in Phnom Penh.
You meet employer(s) you want to work for face-to-face, learning the company’s, background, products, services, and especially discussing qualification and skills they are looking into and so forth. Sometimes you are invited to get job interview without submitting your resume.
Besides employment opportunities, job fair helps people build network with people who are worth making friends with because many of them are experienced and professional staff. Sounds exciting, right? But how do you prepare yourself for such interesting event?
In this article, I would like to share you 10 tips to help you make the most of out of job fair event.
- Bring along things: the first thing you should bring with you is your last updated resume. Most companies provide job seekers with a walk-in-interview. Bring a bag to load things shared/collected during the event. Bring a smart phone or camera to take your pictures or those of job announcement that might interest you.
- Listen to the official’s and quest speakers’ speech: Early in the first day’s morning of the event, it is officially opened by high ranking government official. He/she gives speech on employment trend/situation in Cambodia and so forth. What’s more, there are several company representatives giving speech about their institutions. Learning from their speech, you will broaden your knowledge and get prepared for competitive labor market.
- Target your dream employer(s): It is good idea if you have already had certain companies in mind that you want to work for, so when you see any of them in the event, you head up towards and get to know them. Drop them your resume, ask questions, and build good communication for current/future job opportunities with them. Also, explore other companies- they might be your other prospective employers that have a job you’ve been looking for.
- Leave positive first impression: Be enthusiastic! When meeting people in public, show your interest with a firm handshake, a friendly smile, and a good conversation, especially with company representatives. People are more interested in your personality rather than your hard skills.
- Dress properly: You don’t have to wear seriously like when you are working in the office. Wearing your favorite jeans with T-shirt also looks good, but make sure that they are appropriate because you aren’t joining a concert, but selling yourself at a professional job fair event. No pajamas or shorts.
- Be prepared to answer questions about yourself: In addition to your resume dropped, most of the time company’s HR staff invite to sit for discussion about your profile so you should be able to present well. To get noticed by employers, you should take the opportunity to include things you’ve achieved with your career. Tell them unique story that makes you stand out of other potential candidates.
- Fill in form with recruitment agencies: There are hundreds of current positions and many kinds of vacancies available at recruitment agencies. There a lot of job opportunities, which you may not find on online job posting websites. With HRIINC (Cambodia) Co., Ltd, the most leading recruitment agency in Cambodia, simply drop your last updated resume or take a two-minute to fill in application form and let jobs find you.
- Collect name cards: It is networking time so you can collect and ask for name cards for networking contact. Feel free to go to as many companies as possible. Meet and talk to many people as you want. Don’t be an introvert. Build professional networking pool.
- Join the game and get free gift: At the same time, you have fun playing games with some companies introducing their demo products probably. Usually, you join with some activities or answering questions about their products and services, and get free gift.
- Follow up by email: A few days after the job fair, you can also send out an email to follow up your application or even say thank you. Attach you resume as softcopy if you haven’t dropped it during the event. This way creates and fresh your interest and communication with your dream employers.
Don’t dismiss this opportunity because national job fair happens only once a year. Plan your day at least one morning or afternoon to visit the fair, and learn about your dream employers’ background, build professional network at event. Following the above ways, you will definitely make the best of your time during the event.
If you have other tips or experience with the job fair in your country, please do share with us.